Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Take My Hand, Everything's OK

Last night Denice and I went to the Arizona Diamondbacks baseball game with another couple. We had a nice dinner and came into the ballpark during the second inning. We glided up the escalator to the  upper deck. As we walked towards the doors we saw something I found very disturbing.

A man was trying to lead his son down the escalator. The little boy appeared to be about two years old. Each of them had a cup of soda in one hand and the father started down the moving stairway as his son stood at the top trying to figure out how this strange thing worked. I would start to step onto a step but then it would move away before he had time to get his tiny feet to move. The father finally walked back upstream where he took his son by the hand and the two went down the staircase, hand in hand. That's all the little fellow needed, his father's guiding hand.

When they were about half way down the escalator, a little girl walked up to the top of the escalator with a cup of soda in her left hand and the cutest little pink splint on her right hand. She was around four years of age. Just like her little brother, she was not familiar with the escalator. She kept trying to step aboard to get down to her father, but he kept moving farther and father away. She looked very distressed because she was too afraid to step unto the escalator and her father wasn't there to help her.

I ran over to this precious little girl and held my hand out to her. I asked her if she wanted to hold my hand and I would help her ride the escalator. She shook her head and raised her little pink splint towards my hand. I took her hand in mine and we stepped onto the escalator together.

Finally she was on her way down to her father. As we were gliding down the stairway I asked her what happened to her arm. She said, "I bwoke it!" She was the cutest little thing. I delivered her safely to her waiting father and she was happy once again.

That made me think about how we come up to times where we are afraid to take the next step and we are in need of our Father's hand. Unlike that father who was not there for his daughter, Hebrews 13:5 tells us Jesus said He would never desert us nor would He ever forsake us. As we are walking through life, sometimes we separate ourselves from Him but whenever we reach up to Him He is always there to take our hand and help us take that next step into the unknown.

Instead of pulling your hand away from your Father and going off your own way, how about holding tightly to the Father's hand and let Him guide you through this life. Unlike our earthly father, who have probably let us down and not been there when we needed them, our heavenly Father is always there for us. Just raise your hands and look up. He is always there waiting for us to reach up to Him.

1 comment:

  1. Good read. Sounds like something I've been going through the last 6 months- distancing myself from the Lord. As I have been drawing closer to Him again lately, it's been comforting to know that He has never left my side and will always continue to be there and love me unconditionally. Priceless! Something I have never known from my own father growing up.

    ReplyDelete