Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Little Graces

I am coming off one of the most difficult, no, THE most difficult week I have had since I've been involved in ministry. I received the call that every pastor dreads. The call in the night that sends a pastor running out of the house, half awake, to go be with a wife as she stands by the hospital bed of her husband who was involved in an accident.

About 24 hours later I am with her again, for the third time, as the doctors take her husband off of life support. In just a few more hours he is resting peacefully in the arms of Christ. I drive home, in the middle of the night, alone, weeping. Grieving over what I've just witnessed. Grieving over a young widow, with a severely handicapped son, who is now without the man she loves to help her take care of their son. Grieving over the toll sin requires from each of us. Grieving, because this is just not the way it's supposed to be.

The funeral was requested for just two days later. The family wanted me to perform the memorial; I was just physically and emotionally exhausted. I had nothing left to give. Some of the other pastors lifted the weight from my shoulders and took care of it from there for me. That was one of those little graces.

Little graces are those times when God sends someone or something into your life to show you He cares for you. We have all had them. You may have overlooked them, but He sends them anyway. Have you ever slowed down enough to notice them?

Here are a few of the little graces I've noticed in my life these past few days.

Having fellow pastors to come along side to lift you up when you are weary. Thanks guys. Little graces.

Taking a mid term exam in seminary and earning a D. The professor adjusts my score to a B. Thanks Dr. D. Little graces.

Holding a friends 10 month old son and he doesn't deposit any bodily fluids on me. Thanks Seth. Little graces.

Hearing of real life change happening in the India Fellowship as we grow. Little graces.

Sharing a meal with my bride as we celebrate 33 years of marriage. Thanks Denice. Little graces.

Talking to my daughter on the phone. Thanks Sara. Little graces.

If you sit down and get still with God, He will show you some of the little graces He has sent your way. Try it. You might be surprised and that would be one of those little graces.

Grace and peace to you my friend.
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment